As a retiree, you may have questions we can answer or confusions we can clear up. The sections below will take you easily and quickly to the information you need.


I’m thinking about retiring.  How do I apply and how much will I get paid each month if I do?

Contact the Human Resources (HR) department of your last denominational employer.

Once you’ve received my application, how long will it take before I start getting my retirement checks?

If you have received an email from a Benefits Processing Assistant you should contact this person.  He or she should be able to give you an estimated time.

If you have not received an email from a Benefits Processing Assistant, please contact Diane Gatling in our Retirement Office by emailing her at Diane can tell you the status of your application and should be able to give you an estimated time.

When do I get paid each month?

Checks and EFTs (Electronic Funds Transfers) are released on or by the 27th of each month.

If the 27th is a Sabbath, Sunday or holiday Monday, the checks and EFTs are released the Friday before.

If the 27th is a Thanksgiving, the checks and EFTs will be released the Wednesday before.

How do I set up direct deposit or change my current direct deposit?

For checking accounts:  Remove a check from your permanent checkbook (it must have the retiree’s name and address pre-printed on it) and attach this check to a note with the retiree’s signature and Social Security Number on it requesting the update. Fax or mail this check and note to our office.

For savings accounts:  You can request that our office send you an authorization agreement for direct deposit form or you can download this form from our website.

How do I change my mailing address?

Changes in your address can be emailed, faxed or sent via mail.  If you choose to email the address change your name MUST be part of the email address or we cannot process the request.

What is the status of my Retirement Account/Lump Sum?

Contact the Benefits Processing Assistant who handled your application for an explanation.

I just got my first retirement check. Why isn’t it for the amount I was told it would be?

Contact the Benefits Processing Assistant who handled your application for an explanation.

My retirement check hasn’t arrived yet. Where is it?

Are you a new retiree and, if so, are you sure your application has been received and is in process?  If the answer to these questions is yes, contact the Benefit Processing Assistant who is handling your application.

If you don’t know who has your application contact Diane Gatling at

Do we have your current address?  You may want to contact our office to be sure.

Have you recently sent us direct deposit information?  If so, please contact your bank before calling us to see if the funds have been deposited into your account.

If you receive a paper check we cannot re-issue the check until the 15th of the following month. Contact us at that time.

The bank won’t honor my check because there is no account number or routing number on it. What should I do?

More than likely the bank has either damaged the check in processing or you cut off the bottom of the check. Either you or the bank should fax or mail us a copy of this damaged check so we can replace it.

I just got my first retirement check of the year.  Why is it less than my check was last year?

First, determine the precise difference by comparing your stub from last year to the stub for this year. That amount may be explained by the one or more of the following:

Did you start having SHARP deductions this year? If so, this will lessen your gross amount.

Did you ask to have federal taxes withheld? If so, this will lessen your gross amount.

Did you have a spouse pass away or do you have a spouse who started their own retirement benefits? If so, a spouse allowance amount may have been discontinued on your retirement account.

Are you on state medical assistance (Medicaid)? If so, you may have had the Medicare Part B premium reimbursement discontinued on your retirement account as medical assistance (Medicaid) covers the Medicare Part B premium.

My EFT payroll deposit has not been received. What may have gone wrong?

Have you recently changed your direct deposit information?  If so, it may be you forgot to send it to us. Please call the toll-free recorded information line at (888) 838-8955 for instructions on how to get that new data to us.

Have you contacted your bank and spoken with the ACH (Automated Clearing House) department about this?  If not contact them.

Are you looking online for the payment?  It may be the payment has been received but not posted to your account yet.  Again, contact your bank to be sure.

Are you looking at your bank statement?  Look at the statement end date.  If it is before the 27th of the month your payment will not show on that statement.

I receive a parsonage allowance. Is it taxable?

You can get the answer from Edwin Romero in the Retirement Office by emailing him at

I have a question about how to file parsonage exclusion. Who do I contact?

Email your question to Edwin Romero at

How do I get reimbursed for Medicare Part B?

Fax or mail to our Retirement Office (to the attention of Vernon Rogers) a copy of your Medicare card.

What is my SHARP (Supplemental Healthcare, Adventist Retirement Plan) deduction?

If your last name starts with the letters A – K, you should call Gayle Fell at (443) 391-7336.

If your last name starts with the letters L – Z, you should call Vernon Rogers (443) 391-7335.

I have sent you my dental/medical claim.  When can I expect to get reimbursement for it?

For the answer, contact Adventist Risk Management at (800) 447-5002.

Are the Medicare part B premium reimbursement and the funeral benefit reported as income on my 1099R?

No, these benefits are not taxable.

My mother passed away very recently.  What information do I need to give your office?

From the list of Benefit Processing Assistants below, find the one who serves all retirees with the first letter of your last name (in parentheses): 1-443-391-xxxx

  • Linda Tatum x7314 (A, B)
  • Jean Sloane x7315 (C, D, E)
  • CJ Isaac x7316 (F, G, H, I)
  • Shirley Jones x7317 (J, K, L)
  • Diane Gatling x7322 applications only
  • Sharon Kuykendall x7318 (M, N, O P)
  •  Joyce Macatiag x7319 (Q, R, S)
  •  Karin Dortch x7321 (T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z)

Where is my 1099R?  Last year at this time I already had it.

1099R’s are sent out by the 31st of January and should be received by you within the first 2 weeks of February.  If you have not received your 1099R by February 14, call our Retirement Office and we will replace it.

Have you moved?  If so—and as long as you remembered to put in a forwarding address—you will be receiving the form, but just a bit later than before.

How do I set up or change my tax withholding?

Fax or mail us a letter stating the exact dollar amount or the exemptions you want us to withhold.  We do not calculate a percentage.

Be sure your signature and social security number are on the letter.

We only withhold federal income tax.  We do not withhold state income tax.

I don’t know how much I should have withheld for taxes. Can you help me?

Please consult with your tax preparer to determine this. We do not counsel retirees on such matters.

Once you have determined your withholding, please fax or mail us a letter with your request. Make sure this letter has both your signature and social security number on it.

Is my RA/Lump Sum considered taxable income?

Yes, if you asked for the funds to be sent directly to you.

No, if you rolled the funds into a retirement account such as an IRA or a tax-sheltered annuity (TSA).

Will my RA/Lump Sum be reported on a 1099R?

Funds sent directly to you will be reported on the same 1099R as your basic gross retirement benefits.

Funds rolled over will be reported on a separate 1099R that will indicate (in box 7 with the letter “G”) that the funds were rolled over.

Both scenario RA/Lump Sum payments (i.e. taxable and tax-deferred) are reported to the IRS.

What will be my rate increase for the next year?

Hospital retirees always get a 2.50% COLA.

A church retiree’s increase depends on what is voted by the North American Division Executive Committee.

Payroll is not made aware of the new rates till the processing of the January benefit run.

I have tried all week to get the Benefit Processing Assistant on the phone but I am not reaching her. Can someone else help me?

Contact our administrative assistant, Monica Johnson, who can put you in touch with someone who can help you. Monica can be reached at (443) 391-7301.

I need you to fax a 1099R or Statement of Monthly Benefits to someone other than myself. How do I arrange that?

Fax or mail us a release form/letter authorizing us to do so.  The form/letter must include the receiving party’s name and fax number along with the retiree’s signature and social security number.  We do not suggest using email, as your social security number could be compromised by sending it via the internet. Note that we can mail rather than fax the 1099R or Statement of Monthly Benefits to your designated person, if you prefer.

How do I request that you make a change to a retiree’s account, or give/release information on that account, if I am not the actual retiree?

We need legal paperwork (i.e. power of attorney papers, guardianship papers, trust papers or a signed release from the retiree) before we can honor any such requests.  Fax or mail this paperwork to our office.  We do not suggest using email, as the retiree’s social security number could be compromised by sending it via the internet.

Is there a penalty to me if I do not enroll in both Medicare Part B and a Medicare D prescription drug plan at retirement?

Medicare does assess a penalty to a retiree who enrolls later than their “initial retirement period,” which refers to the period when they are first eligible for Medicare retirement benefits. Any penalty assessed by Medicare for late enrollment is a lifetime penalty on the monthly cost for Medicare Part B or on the monthly cost for Medicare D prescription drug plan. You pay this penalty to social security.